Last week, Jesus dealt with those who were suspicious of His authority. Today, we see Jesus deal with people suspicious of His deity. These were those who demanded that Jesus give them yet another sign, one more, and then, just perhaps, they would believe. Yet, Jesus met their suspicion head on, confronting their sin, and warning them of the judgment that they would soon face. He then declared that He is indeed the shining light promised by God, and if they could not see that, the problem was in them, not in Him.
Our task, as we reflect up this text, is to consider how we hear Jesus, how we see Jesus, if we see not only our sin, but also are we encouraged to live for His glory! Or, are we waiting for just one more sign.
To help you with your study of this topic, we are also including the study questions prepared each week for our congregation. May the Lord use them, and the sermon, to be a blessing to you. You will find them, as well as a short prayer, directly below the audio link.
Real Hearing, Real Seeing, Real Living
Series: Luke – A Prescription for Doubtful Souls
Pastor James McDonald
Father, You sent Your Son to be the Light of the World. His brightness and His wonder were made known by His works and His words. Yet, some men still didn’t believe. Instead, they ridiculed Him with false accusations and insults. Today, He is still the Light of the World, and His glory and radiance are to be seen through us, His children. Help us not to be distracted and dismayed when men speak disparagingly of us; instead, give us the grace to shine faithfully for You in the midst of it. Strengthen us through the Word and through prayer to reflect the love and compassion of Jesus. And, help us to see the sin in our own lives, sin that dims and distorts the reflection of the glory of Your Son, so that we might repent and be cleansed by the blood of Jesus. Strengthen us by the power of the Holy Spirit, and use our humble witness to bring many to the light of Christ, ever advancing Your Kingdom. In Jesus name, Amen!
- Going back to verse 28, where do we find true blessing?
- In verse 29, what brought the crowds together? But how does Jesus address them? Why do many shy away from this type of preaching today?
- Why do many want a sign? What signs has Jesus given us?
- What do you know of Nineveh? Why is it amazing that they repented after Jonah’s preaching?
- Who is the Queen of the South? What drew her? Why is it amazing that she followed God?
- What events from history, and from the future, does Jesus endorse in this account? How does that help prove the veracity of the Bible?
- In Jesus’ parable, what does the first reference to a lamp represent? What does this say about the Gospel?
- What does the second reference to a lamp represent? What does this say about our responsibility?
- What are you allowing in your life that might dull your spiritual vision?
- How are you hearing and seeing the Word of God?