We, the Session of Providence Church, have undertaken a study on the topic of the marriage and sexuality, considering the resulting implications of this institution on our church and our families. A summary of this is presented below in a series of affirmations, followed by a series of resolutions. It is our prayer these affirmations will help us work through this topic in a spirit of unity and peace.
- We affirm that God defined marriage as a covenantal union between one biological man and one biological woman at Creation, a union that was to last until death, and that this definition preceded the establishment of the civil magistrate (Genesis 2:24).
- We affirm that Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, confirmed this definition, declaring that marriage was between one biological man and one biological woman, thus confirming the continuance of this institution from the Old Testament to the New Testament (Matthew 19:5-6).
- We affirm that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between one biological man and one biological woman who are united to each other in the bonds of covenant marriage (1 Corinthians 6:18, 7:2-5, Hebrews 13:4).
- We affirm that one of the purposes for marriage is the increase of mankind through childbirth, and that this purpose can only be brought to fruition through a marriage of one biological man and one biological woman (Genesis 1:28, Malachi 2:15).
- We affirm that the covenant marriage between one biological man and one biological woman was designed and instituted by God Himself to reflect the relationship Jesus has to His Church (Ephesians 5:12-33).
- We affirm that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of the church (Matthew 5:43–48, Mark 12:28-31, Luke 10:25-37).
- We also affirm that it is the responsibility of the Church to lovingly help those who are in the bondage of sin to come to see their need for redemption and to seek it in Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:18–20).
- We affirm that God declares sexual relations between individuals of the same gender to be sinful and an abomination, and thus such same-gender marriage is Biblically unlawful (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Romans 1:26-28).
- We affirm that those who are acting upon or are positively affirming of same-gender temptations, as well as all others who have or are engaged in or are positively affirming of sexual immorality, such as adultery, fornication, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, pornography or any attempt to change one’s sex, or disagreement with one’s biological sex, to be in unrepentant sin and thus are at enmity with God (Exodus 20:14, I Corinthians 5:1, Romans 8:7).
- We affirm that the sacrifice of Jesus is sufficient to cover the penalty of those in sexual bondage, and that the Holy Spirit is willing and able to set such a person free from their sin (Acts 3:19-21, Rom 10:9-10, 1 Corinthians 6:9–11).
- We affirm that God’s Law, as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, is to be the foundation of all civil law, and is thus the highest law to be observed (Exodus 20:1-17, Psalm 1:1-6, Acts 5:29).
Based on these affirmations, the Session of Providence Church further resolves that:
- The term “marriage” will be used only for the covenant relationship between one man and one woman to the exclusion of all others.
- The elders of Providence Church will not officiate at or co-officiate at any marriage outside of the previously stated definition of marriage.
- In the event an individual licensed to perform marriages officiates or co-officiates or participates in any official manner at a ceremony that is outside the previously stated definition of marriage, such individual will be subject to disciplinary action.
- No ceremony, civil-union, or reception celebrating the relationship of any individuals that is outside the previously stated definition of marriage in these affirmations will be held at any property owned or managed by Providence Church.
- Individuals who are living in unrepentant sexual sin or who are positively affirming of such sin in or by others will not be candidates for membership at Providence Church.
- No action of government can invalidate the Word of God. Any attempts to circumvent God’s clear commands by governmental action is an affront to God and a sinful act which only stands to bring judgment upon a sinful people (Psalm 2:1-12). We therefore call upon any and all civil magistrates who have worked to support so-called “same-sex marriage” to repent and to seek the Lord while He may be found (Jonah 1:1-2; 3:1–10).